Author Topic: Anime Was a Mistake (animu thread)  (Read 5301 times)

IMustNotFear

on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:49 PM
Currently I've been getting into classic anime.

I'm up to ep 37? of Hunter x Hunter
Episode 2 of Rurouni Kensington
And episode 3 of Serial Experiments Lain.

Just so you know, your favourite anime is trash.

Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:43:03 PM
Just so you know, your favourite anime is trash.

Definitely! :D

I went through an anime "phase" about 15 years ago.  I watched so much anime because I was curious to see what the big deal was.  But after I realized it was horribly overrated, I never got into it.

Recently, I watched the first season of Attack On Titan.  Can't say I thought it was the OMG Best Thing Ever.  It was fairly dull with way too much exposition and way too much time spent on the backstories of mostly irrelevant characters who's only purposes were to get killed.  I suppose that's designed to make us care about them when they become Titan Food, but I'm only invested in the show because I want to know more about the titans.

Then there was Knights of Sidonia, Netflix's first anime.  The animation is awesome, the art is serviceable (by anime standards), and their weaponry is pretty bad ass.  But the story is intentionally dragged out for melodramatic effect.  There was an entire episode where two characters just talked.  It gets 12 episodes a season, but the story could be streamlined into 4 - 6 episodes per season.  Yes, I do want to know if everyone can stay alive long enough to get where they need to go.  But I told my nephew we could probably skip to every third episode and and not miss any important details.

High School of the Dead had every bad anime trope imaginable and so much fanservice.  But there were guns and zombies so I didn't care.

I actually found Black Butler remarkably endearing for an anime that didn't seem like it was taking itself too seriously.  It's completely absurd, but the characters are lovable.  Except for Sebastian....  He's just creepy.

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:31:42 PM
Having just completed a marathon run of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, I'm standing by my belief that it's one of the best animated epics I've seen. Of course, it's still shonen trash. ;P

I'm currently watching Macross Delta with my brother (at some point he decided that Macross being made into Robotech meant we should experience the full Macross franchise and no, I don't know why), and both of us are pretty disappointed in it. It's even more Every Anime Ever than Macross Frontier, and the musical acts are going downhill. Also, if they expect us to find the antagonists at all compelling, it would help if they weren't Nazis.

Im-No-Jedi

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 01:23:46 AM
I started watching One Punch Man last year, but stopped after the third episode due to irl issues. I planned on finishing the series, I just haven't ever gotten around to it. By the time I was ready to pick it up again earlier this year, Fire Emblem Fates came out and completely consumed my life, and ever since then, my free time has been taken up with playing various video games (currently Overwatch). Now the English dub has come out, and I'm super curious to see if it's any good, but again, not enough of a priority for me to actually take the effort to watch it. I want to finish watching the Japanese version before moving on to the English version for comparison. Hopefully it ends up being better than the atrocity that was the English Free! dub *shudders*

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:52:43 PM
My brother is watching the dub of One Punch Man. I can see why people like it, and I appreciate it taking the wee out of the typical shonen fighty stuff, but sadly it's too close to what it's parodying for me to really enjoy it.

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:35:38 PM
My brother is watching the dub of One Punch Man. I can see why people like it, and I appreciate it taking the wee out of the typical shonen fighty stuff, but sadly it's too close to what it's parodying for me to really enjoy it.

That's unfortunate to read.  I was looking forward to it because I had heard it was making fun of animes II disliked.

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:50 PM
Well, my specific problem was the pacing, so I'd say to give it a try. I'm also missing most of the references to other famous shone, so that's probably affecting my enjoyment.

Guy

• The Resident Toxicologist
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 07:08:21 PM
Texhnolyze is the best anime ever made.

Ergo Proxy is also great. Just remove the dumb robot girl and you've got a 10/10 anime.

"As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar."

IMustNotFear

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:18 AM
Texhnolyze is the best anime ever made.
It's garbage.

Jk I've not seen it.

Serial Experiments Lain is hitting all those existential highs. I've got not a clue what is going on.

I'm going to agree that it's shonen hero nonsense, but it is HILARIOUS shonen hero nonsense. I wonder, though, Im No Jedi, if you'd be ok with it. There is a serious amount of gore in OPM. It's played for laughs but it's still there.

Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion

Im-No-Jedi

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:36:56 AM
^ I was worried about the gore too, but because the show is so comedy based, I'm able to handle it a bit better for some reason. I have looked away from the screen several times before too LOL.

I actually recorded myself watching the first three episodes when I watched them last year. They're here on Youtube if anyone is interested in seeing them: [1], [2], [3]. I was watching them off my Wii U and the internet kept crapping out on me, causing the videos to buffer for minutes on end, so that made my reactions pretty funny haha XD

BySt0rm

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 04:09:53 AM
Seen Iron Blooded Orphan and just about to drop it. The protagonists are as compelling as a block of wood, and make it hard to relate or care about any of the main cast. It also has become a chore to watch because it's plodding right at the last few episodes. It also doesn't help that the leads come off as psychopaths that kill people  in cold blood and walk away like it's nothing. They don't feel human or real. Well, that's going to go.

In contrast, One Punch Man is a decent parody of shonen action and each episode leaves me wanting more. I'll probably keep this one going.

Attack on Titan is definitely bland, for sure.

Favorite shows on older Toonami /adult swim were Black Lagoon, Paranoia Agent,  Big O,  Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho,  G Gundam and Samurai Champloo.

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 07:02:39 PM
Seen Iron Blooded Orphan and just about to drop it. The protagonists are as compelling as a block of wood, and make it hard to relate or care about any of the main cast. It also has become a chore to watch because it's plodding right at the last few episodes. It also doesn't help that the leads come off as psychopaths that kill people  in cold blood and walk away like it's nothing. They don't feel human or real. Well, that's going to go.

I admit I'm not really enjoying it either, but I think it's deliberate that the protags don't feel "human" or "real." They're child soldiers trained from a young age to not just kill, but be fully functional soldiers. It's really the show's one interesting angle, IMO, and while I haven't visited the Democratic Republic of Congo to see for myself, I suspect that IBO's portrayal is perhaps more realistic than you think. It's just that those kind of life experiences don't necessarily make for "likable" characters when we see them in combat doing as child soldiers do.

That said, I'm getting suspicious that there's no further point to the depiction of child soldiers in IBO than to try to make the audience sympathetic while also providing "awesome" bloody "guilt free" action scenes. I don't know the tumblr word for what that is, but it's disappointing and uncool, considering I was hoping for something more Blood Diamond. The plodding pace you mentioned doesn't help, as the kids haven't encountered proper society yet, and the criminal organization they've joined is presented as if the audience is supposed to think it's cool, with harems and samurai honor and cool clothes and shore leave on space stations.

BySt0rm

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:12 AM

I admit I'm not really enjoying it either, but I think it's deliberate that the protags don't feel "human" or "real." They're child soldiers trained from a young age to not just kill, but be fully functional soldiers. It's really the show's one interesting angle, IMO, and while I haven't visited the Democratic Republic of Congo to see for myself, I suspect that IBO's portrayal is perhaps more realistic than you think. It's just that those kind of life experiences don't necessarily make for "likable" characters when we see them in combat doing as child soldiers do.

That said, I'm getting suspicious that there's no further point to the depiction of child soldiers in IBO than to try to make the audience sympathetic while also providing "awesome" bloody "guilt free" action scenes. I don't know the tumblr word for what that is, but it's disappointing and uncool, considering I was hoping for something more Blood Diamond. The plodding pace you mentioned doesn't help, as the kids haven't encountered proper society yet, and the criminal organization they've joined is presented as if the audience is supposed to think it's cool, with harems and samurai honor and cool clothes and shore leave on space stations.

Now I have to see Blood Diamond just so I can understand this mindset better, because when I think of child soldiers in anime, I think of Gundam Wing or Evangelion for instance. And because I heard it's a great movie. That's the exact thing I have an issue with the show. I feel that they needed to make the killing and brutal action more weighted to de-glorify the scenes. Everything in the show is set so we can see awesome giant robots fight each other. If I wanted that, I'd watch Power Rangers Dino Charge or some super robot anime.  I really want to feel like they want to live a better life, but are currently so irretrievably screwed by their upbringing that anything like living in a normal society, etiquette, raising children, getting married and having a relationship, will always be an uphill battle for them. And sometimes due to the PTSD, they may not be able to fully function at all. As much of a giant robot show fan that I am , I don't want these ornately animated robot fights and violence to feel cool or awesome. I want it to feel as you say, like Blood Diamond. Or like Hunger Games or like Gathering Blue.  We already have a difference in the kids being better adjusted than their older counterparts, and would like that found.

The thing is, I read the 0079 novelization and just in the first five chapters, it really gets down to the grit and horror of war and how things are in really big detail. Amuro Ray is basically walking in a street filled with corpses in order to get to the Gundam he eventually pilots in one chapter.  It's gruesome and it's not sugarcoated by trying to be cool or glorifying the edge, though it's more of a good vs. evil story than anything else.

The pirates , which I'll call Techiden from this time on, are basically led by Jack Sparrow In Space with G Gundam vibes. Except he's successful at what he does. and amassed a crew and harems in such like such a character may have done. They're very out of sync with the rest of the show, and maybe that's supposed to be that way? They present a vastly different way of living that's still questionable, but it's not like the drudgery of the compound when they were growing up.  But if not, it's like having Superfriends in the next grim and dark  DCEU movie, or if the Justice League teamed up with the Wonder Twins as like in the cartoon. Really hope they got a sinister inner layer to them, because they're about as evil as Domon Kasshu from G Gundam and wacky like his mentor archenemy.

And in a show trying to be serious about its subject matter, it's hard for it to accomplish these ends when they can't do it. Look, I'm not opposed to balancing the dark with a few lighter scenes and aspects so it doesn't get too down dark, like how Avatar in it's best has done. However, as you mentioned, they're just using the child soldier theme to drum up sympathy. AKA, they decided to make a terrible remake of Gundam Wing. I don't remember much of that show, though as I was in kindergarten or in first grade. Just the Endless Waltz manga.

I really want a plot line where they go into the future and have it revolve around Orga's son being raised by Earth people to use against Orga himself, and show the contrasts between their personalities and attitudes.

shorewall

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 03:38:53 PM
My favorite Anime is Teen Titans.   ;D

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 04:21:53 PM
I just watched an anime where two girls beat each other up with their butts.  The winner literally farted out a ghost wolf (I think) and it howled.  Then I watched excerpts from another anime about a guy who farted and his fart gives people advice.  This is the absurd stuff my daughter surfs YouTube for.  Frankly, I find it more entertaining than most of the mainstream stuff I've watched over the years.  I also love Shin Chan.  I find that I can only really enjoy anime that is incredibly absurd or anime that is extremely violent.

Rec me stuff, please. :D