Author Topic: Anime Was a Mistake (animu thread)  (Read 5110 times)

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
  • You trying to get on my bad side??
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 04:00:07 PM
I guess this doubles as a manga thread, right? Anyway, Line Wolf & Cub is pretty good so far. Iím not making rapid progress due to missing a couple of the omnibus volumes, but itís a visually impressive work as I have already said.

Iím planning on watching Attack on Titan pretty soon. The animation looks stellar and I heard it gets better as it goes along.

Oh, and I finished Death Parade last week. It started off pretty good. It reminded me of a softer version of Saw at first. I kind of lost interest throughout the duration of the middle act, so basically episodes 3 through 7, but once things picked up, it started getting good again. The finale was pretty emotional, but that could just be because the topics of suicide, loss, and regret get me all teary-eyed. Iím glad I watched it though, even though it had a lot of pacing issues.

May the souls of all the faithful departed
trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 07:10:21 PM
I wonder how many people these days read Usagi Yojimbo comics and see Lone Goat & Kid without knowing what Lone Wolf & Cub is:

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 07:37:13 PM
It wouldnít be that surprising, since Lone Wolf & Cub ended many years ago. And itís been replaced by a number of other big-name mangas in the public consciousness.

Anyway, I think Samurai Jack owes a lot of its aesthetic to Lone Wolf & Cub, and could even be considered an adaptation of it in  some ways.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 09:50:57 PM
Iím about to start One Punch Man and Haikyu. Iím trying to go in blind, but apparently some of you guys already discussed the former. Hopefully the opinions expressed donít effect my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the series.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Sailor Haumea

• The Queen of AU Fics
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 03:39:34 PM
I should probably do a rewatch of Dragon Ball soon, but as much as I like the series, 639 episodes, plus 20+ movies, is a lot. Plus, a lot of Super is kinda dreadful filler (Dragon Ball filler is supposed to be GOOD, not awful stuff like Trunks and Goten getting water for Videl, uggghhhh). I try to do a rewatch of Dragon Ball once a year, but I somehow didn't do one last year.

Sailor Haumea

• The Queen of AU Fics
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 03:45:29 PM
Also:

It has now been a year and two months since the most recent chapter of Hunter x Hunter has been released.

Will we ever get chapter 391?

(Maybe)

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 03:58:16 PM
Thatís on my too watch list. Some chica asked me to draw the main trio at work the other day, so Iíve been curious who these guys Ive been drawing were ever since. Iíll check it out after Iím done with One Punch Man, which will hopefully be today.

Anyway, I think One Punch Man is pretty good. I donít think Iíll ever watch it again, but the gags were pretty good. I had at least one good chuckle per episode. It  just has a very weak middle act. But these last few episodes (and hopefully the last two) have been very good. The show is very visually interesting for a comedy series.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Yougo

Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:21 AM
I've been on a Myazaki/Ghibli discovery roll lately, because Netflix :P

Yes there exist people from the early 80's who are still discovering just how awesome the 80's were!

So i watched Nausicaš (english dub) -No- I consumed-feasted on-absorbed-and-marveled at Nausicaš. i see so many things in that one movie that resonates in and echos in with so. many. other things that came after it, from the obvious later anime to western animation, to ATLA, to live action material to games, like so much of the later Legend of Zelda games.

it's like being at a party and wondering why you meet so many people who have the same looks and mannerisms and you can't figure out why, only to meet a woman at the end of the evening who tells you you're on a family reunion and she's their mother!

and there are so many things i still missed and have 'oh snap' moments about the next day, like just now realizing her dress ended up blue as per the legend, but wasn't it red halfway into the movie?? and figuring out it must have been the baby-ohm's blood, and figuring out being covered in baby-ohm blood must have helped her survive the ohm stampede!
And silly stuff like just KNOWING Yuma's voice and just KNOWING that voice belongs to that 80's vibe and after watching STAR TREK TNG for all these years, just now it clicked that  he is voiced by Patrick Steward!

wow, it's been so long since i've been so captivated by a movie! none of what the movie industry has been churning out for years can hold a candle to what i've seen yesterday.

i'm on a buzz, let me :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:23:51 AM by Yougo »

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 11:17:22 PM
The Promised Neverland is ending soon, I think. Like a lot of the animes Iíve been talking about, it started really strong, but then just kind of fizzled out about half way through. Iím still going to finish it, but Iím kind of bored with this series. What a shame.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 06:57:34 PM
Yeah, I've already seen some of the buzz for it wilting in other places. I guess it's another 'Attack on Titan.'

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 11:14:07 PM
I havenít seen Attack on Titan, but one coworker I know swears by it. Though other people I trust arenít as enthusiastic about it as they once were. So thatís probably an apt comparison.

Anyway, Iíve seen you mention the Melancholy of Haruhi Sazumi on your tumblr, is that something youíd highly recommend, or with reservations? Since it looks like we as a nation are going to be on lockdown for awhile, I need something to pass the time (and will make me laugh, which is really needed).

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 05:52:24 PM
I highly recommend it with major reservations. :D It has girl-on-girl sexual harassment as humor and teenage fanservice (because anime), but if you can stomach that, it's unique and delightful.

Oh, and I should warn you about season 2. There's a thing there that wore on people's patience. If you hit your limit, definitely tap out and use an episode guide to jump to the last episode in that arc or the next story arc. It's nothing offensive or upsetting, just something that can get annoying. I like what it was trying to do, but I think it fell short of the vision.

And definitely watch the 3-hour movie that finishes the series. It's one of the best things ever, and really brings it all home.