Author Topic: Favorite Fandom Activities  (Read 7623 times)

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:23 PM
My absolute favorite fandom activity is to get with a group of people who want to do nothing but talk about their ideas.  This is literally why I stay in fandom.

Another favorite activity:

Making stupid icons.

We should have a stupid / funny icons thread.  Hmm...

Also, I love writing crackfic about Jeong Jeong warning of the dangers of getting the mail or the savagery of pennies.

Stand-up Amon?  Love it!

Oh, and I had this thing I used to do where I would read someone's fanfic and then I'd figure out how I could put Piandao into their story. :)  It got so bad that I tried to insert him into the chapters of "The Gentleman of Weapons" that he wasn't already in.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:03:54 PM by SC »

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:33:09 PM
I like writing fanfic, as everyone around here probably knows, but my favorite twist on that activity is writing out the plot bunnies that come out of regular discussion and crazy after-the-fact speculation. All my best stories have been inspired by group conversations or reactions to other fanfic, and it's partially why I have so little interest in doing my own original writing- it's too solitary.

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:41 PM
I like writing fanfic, as everyone around here probably knows, but my favorite twist on that activity is writing out the plot bunnies that come out of regular discussion and crazy after-the-fact speculation. All my best stories have been inspired by group conversations or reactions to other fanfic, and it's partially why I have so little interest in doing my own original writing- it's too solitary.

I love doing that.  I can't tell you how many good ideas I've gotten just by reading through discussions that I'm not even participating in.

theColonel

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:32 PM
I like reading fanfiction and mapping out ideas for my own (though I feel as though I'm really behind, in order to get good I need to start reading more extensively).

My other favorite activity to discuss episodes.

Anyway, I've been thinking if perhaps the fandom can put together some activity that would unite us all together. The Gravity Falls fandom just got done having a real-life treasure hunt not too long ago that led  to fans searching for clues all over the world. I really admire the creator of that show for being able to put together such a puzzle. So perhaps we can do something similar? It doesn't need to be as complex, but it's just an idea.

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:15:30 PM
Anyway, I've been thinking if perhaps the fandom can put together some activity that would unite us all together. The Gravity Falls fandom just got done having a real-life treasure hunt not too long ago that led  to fans searching for clues all over the world. I really admire the creator of that show for being able to put together such a puzzle. So perhaps we can do something similar? It doesn't need to be as complex, but it's just an idea.

That's cool.  When I was in the Voltron fandom, World Events Productions used to have fandom-wide contests every year for fanfiction, fan art, and web sites.  They also hosted weekly chats with writers and animators for over a year.

NoizVonButternuts

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:59:33 PM
I like to draw (Mostly Zuko and Earth King Kuei) and I like reading fanfics.

I also like to write, but I hardly ever post anything I do because I'm not that great at it.

Im-No-Jedi

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 02:37:13 AM
I like to make weird and stupid graphics. Icons, screencaps, gifs, you name it. All of my most popular posts on Tumblr are the weird stuff LOL.

I like to write and draw too, but not that often. I've been trying to draw more lately, specifically using a pencil and paper. I tried doing digital art for a while, but I've found I'm more comfortable using a pencil and paper. I like getting my hands dirty when I'm doing art ;D

I also will occasionally make fandom related videos. Most of that stuff can be found on my Youtube, but there's also some exclusives on my Tumblr which will merit the biggest of gold stars for anyone who manages to find all of them haha.

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:41:24 PM
I like to draw (Mostly Zuko and Earth King Kuei) and I like reading fanfics.

I want to see your art. :)

I also like to write, but I hardly ever post anything I do because I'm not that great at it.

Just have fun with it and post what makes you happy.

I like to write and draw too, but not that often. I've been trying to draw more lately, specifically using a pencil and paper. I tried doing digital art for a while, but I've found I'm more comfortable using a pencil and paper. I like getting my hands dirty when I'm doing art ;D

Got any Shiro and Pidge friendship art?  I eat that up like it's candy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:53:20 PM by SC »

Im-No-Jedi

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 02:06:50 PM
^ sadly no, I've never even attempted drawing those two before, but I've been wanting to! I love Shiro and Pidge stuff too; thankfully all of it is platonic that I've seen so far. More platonic fan stuffs please!!

SC

• 157% Piandaoist
  • Administrator
    • piandao.love
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 02:19:26 PM
^ sadly no, I've never even attempted drawing those two before, but I've been wanting to! I love Shiro and Pidge stuff too; thankfully all of it is platonic that I've seen so far. More platonic fan stuffs please!!

I wish Geocities were still around because I'd love to show you some of the weird pairings people used to gush over.  Lotor / Space Mice.  I guess, in the modern ear, we'd call that ship Space Lice. :b

In the old Voltron fandom, I was part of a collaborative fic group.  There were a dozen or so of us and we were writing this really long story together.  That was a lot of fun!

And these animators from Netter Digital who were working on VOLTRON: THE THIRD DIMENSION would log onto our chat every Saturday night, drunk, and gossip about the show's writers.

FartsOfNeil

• The Avatardist
  • Savage... Brutal... Bendt.
    • Art of Neil
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:47 PM
Making dumb animated gifs as responses to tumblr posts or AU animatics. :P

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:42:22 PM

Just have fun with it and post what makes you happy.

Cosigned! Few writers or artists are ever really satisfied with their stuff, because we (ha, I grouped myself in with writers and artists) always have a vision that reality will inevitably fail to live up to. But the more we do, the closer we'll get to that ideal state.

theColonel

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:01 PM
What I got from that is that I should publish a bunch of stories I'm not as invested in, and when I develop the skills and enough confidence, then I should tackle the epic story I have envisioned. Cause I'd really hate if my first published novel was a poorly done version of the story I've been working on for years in my head. :D

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
No, it means that the story you've spent years working out in your head is garbage and you don't know it yet. Your magnum opus, which will be remembered for centuries and studied by scholars as one of the highest achievements of human language, will be something you always hated and dashed off while recovering from knee surgery for some quick bank.

Once you accept that, you will know true freedom as a writer.

theColonel

Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 07:05:31 PM
That's sounds like it has a ring of truth! Especially the part about author's best works usually being things they didn't care for. Robert Graves is remembered for "I, Claudius" yet according to him, he did just for the money.