Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 1283 times)

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
  • You trying to get on my bad side??
on: February 09, 2020, 12:45:59 PM
Thought, we could use one of these.

Anyway, I watched Birds of Prey and 1917 recently, and enjoyed both movies immensely.

They were both visually interesting, with Birds of Prey being very bright and colorful, and 1917 being very immersive due to that single-shot trick it utilized.

Oh, and I like the sound track for these movies... a lot. Again, theyíre very different, but they work for both films. There is a scene in 1917, two in fact, that I really enjoyed. The first, in which the two male leads have just left their trenches and are walking through this crater-laden battlefield, and come across this one crater thatís become somewhat of a lake due to rain, and the music that accompanies it is very somber and relaxing despite the general feeling of danger that permeates this entire movie. And the second, in which the one lead wakes up after being knocked unconscious by that one German sniper and sees that the town is now ablaze.

Do check these movies out.

May the souls of all the faithful departed
trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 03:01:19 PM
I finally saw Toy Story 4.

I wish it hadn't been made.

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 03:53:04 PM
I agree that it was an unnecessary film, especially since 3 was such a perfect ending, but I still had a good time nevertheless. I found the scene where Bonnieís toys press the gas pedal and Bonnieís dad freaks out to have been pretty funny.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:16:53 PM
Yeah, it was amusing. More time with the characters is always fun, and closure with Bo Peep was nice.

But I feel like it was a lesser ending after 3, and it really did a disservice to Woody's relationships with the other toys. It feels contradictory to the bond he and Buzz had, they were willing to go into obsolescence as long as they could be together, but now all of the sudden Woody can't let go of taking care of a kid until he finds fulfillment running off with Bo Peep? Even though he was right about Bonnie in kindergarten and her need for Forky? And it was really weird how Forky is introduced as this new, weird thing, but then after a talk he's fine and becomes nothing more than a Distressed Damsel for the rest of the movie.

It just feels like the franchise started to really strain at the edges as it was dragged out into another extension, with a bunch of ideas thrown in and forced into the shape of a story that doesn't come together, especially after 3 being such a great and definitive ending. After conquering death and rebirth, conquering retirement seems like a step down, never mind how it all didn't gel.

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 12:30:24 AM
Anyway, I finally saw Ford V Ferrari. It was probably my least favorite of the movies nominated for Best Picture, but I did enjoy just how exciting the racing scenes were. Why, I felt like somewhat of a racer on my way back from the movies. Damon and Bale both gave great performances, though the roles they played didnít require a whole lot. Plus, I for whatever reason cannot tell Damon and DiCaprio apart. I kept thinking the latter was in this movie when he wasnít.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace

Colonel Brian

• Local Kook
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 04:46:13 PM
Iíve been binge watching Slasher and Horror movies lately. Iím not sure, why, but I figured itís about time to give these movies a chance. To my surprise, I really enjoyed them. They arenít sophisticated films by any means, but quite enjoyable. My favorite is Halloween (1977). The soundtrack is pretty good, and you have to admire how it influenced the genre. Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street were pretty alright. I prefer the latter over the former. Though I appreciate how the original installment of most of these franchises are very different from latter entries. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Saw for instance are relatively bloodless for instance.

Anyway, I guess my favorite horror movies are Halloween, The Exorcist, and Scream. That last one is more of a parody really.

trough the mercy of God
rest in peace