Author Topic: Harry Potter (and the expanded Wizarding World)  (Read 1700 times)

Nausicaa

on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:17 AM
I thought I'd make this topic seeing as there's been a lot of Harry Potter-related news lately. The Cursed Child stage play just opened, and the rehearsal script was released. Has anybody else read it so far?

Also, Warner Bros officially confirmed that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will be getting a sequel. J.K. Rowling (who's writing the screenplay) has previously talked about the film being part of a trilogy, but this is the first time the studio has openly discussed it.

Loopy

• False Prime
  • Administrator
  • I'm Loooooopy!
    • My Fanfic @ tumblr
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:17:15 PM
So what's the general verdict on Cursed Child? I still haven't read any of the books, but early indications were that Cursed Child was weird and fanficcy.

Nausicaa

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:36:49 PM
I've read the script. My general thoughts (I'll try to avoid spoilers):

- I found it pretty enjoyable, but I agree that it has a lot of elements that were weird/ fanficcy. I'd prefer not to think of it as canon, for the most part. (The stuff about Harry and co's new jobs, relationship dynamics etc. was fine, and I liked Albus and Scorpius. I'm happy to consider those aspects part of the post-Deathly Hallows story.) I think I found it more entertaining than a lot of other people, even though it had a lot of problems.

- You could tell that the dialogue was written by a different writer, especially when the characters from the original books would talk. It's hard to explain. Also, I don't know whether some of the dialogue would sound more normal coming out of an actor on stage, but some of it just sounded odd. Like, when one character is introduced, he very quickly blurts out a weird rumour about his family, in a way that just drew attention to how weird it was.

- The play sounds like it would actually be pretty impressive to see in person.

- The villain was very lacklustre, and not very fleshed out. I actually get the impression that the story was originally intended to be a lot simpler, but ballooned out of proportion over the years. (I mean, the original synopsis was that it would be about Harry's childhood, and that it would be one play.) So maybe the villain was added later in production. 

So yeah. I know that the published script is  just the "rehearsal edition", so the play might change a bit. I'm guessing it won't change drastically, but maybe they'll tweak some of the more criticised stuff. It might be too little, too late for some fans though.

(I actually wonder if the creators were particularly aware of fanfiction tropes before they put this together. I know that a lot of writers avoid looking at fanfic of their own works for legal reasons, so maybe Rowling legitimately didn't notice some of this stuff. Not to mention, the books contain some stuff that would sound a little fanficcy if you heard about them out of context. "Tonks, a pink-haired shapeshifting witch, falls in love with Lupin, a werewolf wizard."  ;D )